India Vacation

Family Vacation in India, the best way to spend your vacations and explore Indian Beauty.

One of my friends once visited Darjeeling in his summer vacations in our school days. Coming back to school after the vacation he literally chewed our heads with his stories of Darjeeling and whenever we showed any signs of getting enough of it, he would say you guys will know it once you are there.

Long after my sunny school days, one fine day in the month of November last year, opportunity knocked at my door to make my friend's prophecy come true. Well, simply put, I went on a vacation to Darjeeling. As per plan I reached Siliguri in West Bengal first. It is a buzzing town and the most popular gateway to Darjeeling.

Staying over night there, I was off to my destination. A traveller can either board a bus or hire a taxi from Siliguri to Darjeeling. I chose the latter. I must confess with my hands on my heart, that journey is one of the best I have made so far. The vehicle made way through the curvy roads that were cut along the hills. The taxi I hired was an open jeep and suddenly a flock of fog went across the vehicle. On being asked the driver told that those were not fog; but clouds!!!

However, after a memorable trip I reached the place that is known to be the Queen of Hills. My travel plan had accommodated a few priorities- the famous Sun rise, Rock Garden, Gangamaiya Park, Batasia Loop and the one and only The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway.

The Sun rise in the Tiger Hills is a major tourist attraction. As the spot is almost 12 km away from Darjeeling, taxis ferry people there from much before the dawn. It is truly a moment to cherish when the sun comes out shyly from between two hills with its reflection on the mighty Kanchenjunga.

Rock Garden is a park situated in the rocky areas of a hill with lush green scenery and man made water reservoirs. Gangamaiya Park is also a good hang out place. The highlight would be the beautiful fall here that flows gracefully along the boulders and pebbles bringing joy to everyone.

Batasia Loop actually is a sort of community place. Seated over a hillock, it has got the mixture of small parks, vendors selling local stuff and the railway track of the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. It amused me as I saw the vendors settling up stalls on the tracks and moving out instantly when the train arrived. Going by the records, the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway is declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

Another important aspect about Darjeeling is its people and their simplicity. Though the original inhabitants of this place are the Lepchas, others like the Gorkhas and the Sherpas live here with harmony thereby adding to its cultural milieu.

And ladies, Don't miss the shopping of a different flavour!

0 comments:

Post a Comment